Friday, February 6, 2009

We are HOME!!!

Yes, it is true! We came home on Sunday night, sorry for yet another delayed update - since we've been home it's: eat, sleep, poop - and then we try to remember to eat and sleep ourselves. Christian and I have worked out a pretty good night time schedule so we can each get a good 6 hour block of sleep and do 2 feedings on our own each night (no easy task).


The boys eat every three hours, and it takes an hour to feed them. Luckily as of today we got Lucas to start a half hour after Gavin so we don't have one feeding baby and one screaming baby. Though even with the best of intentions and planning this still tends to happen.

We're adjusting to life at home, at first it was very hard to not have the beeping monitors and the first night I got up every 10 minutes to make sure they were still breathing. This is something I guess a lot of NICU graduate moms do. We're becoming more confident and are letting the boys grunt and moan without tending to them each time.

After 3 nights home we finally put the boys in their cribs in their room (during the day yesterday) and back out in the pack and play crib at night. One of us (who ever is "on" for that shift) has been camping out on the couch. This seems to work for now, so we're not back and forth between rooms and disturbing whoever is sleeping.

We haven't been out with the boys yet, only to their pediatrician appointment last Monday and the Starbucks drive thru. We have another peds appointment this coming Monday to check their weight. Lucas is just now starting to eat better since being home, but both boys have gas and hold their breath, bear down and grunt for a good 30 minutes after we put them down from feeding. We've tried everything (Mylicon, burping, holding them for an hour after - nothing seems to help). Poor little gassy men, I'll have to ask our pediatrician for advice.

PS: If you need any maternity clothes let me know before I donate them - I'm ready to be RID of them all and I have a ton of stuff size M/L.

Here are a few pictures... more later when I find the time!


Brother! (Gavin on left, Lucas on right)


Look how big we are! (Gavin on left, Lucas on right)

Last day in the NICU - time to go home! (Gavin on left and Lucas on right - again!)


Tired mommy trying to get Gavin to sleep in a Moby wrap - it worked!


Lucas in the swing, he wasn't too sure about it!

3 comments:

TaNicka said...

I will take them off your Hands! Don't have much. If you don't have anyone else ask.

Hanna said...

I love the pictures! They are so cute! I'm glad you are home with them now...I have a gift for the boys and I wanted to make sure you were home before I sent it!

Elysia & my James' said...

Yea, I'm so glad they are doing well and you look great! Congrats again. I can't believe they are already one month old! And I can always use some clothes if there are no other takers. :) See you soon hopefully!