Friday, December 26, 2008

Admitted to hospital...

31w2d

Today I came into the hospital for my repeat cervical check and growth scan. Boys are doing great baby a is 4 lbs 3 oz and baby b is 3 lbs 15 oz - of course these are estimates if they were born they may weigh much less.

The ultrasound was an hour long, at the end after measuring every possible thing on the boy's anatomy they did a cervical check. Turns out my cervix is 1.5 cm and about .5 cm with pressure. The ultrasound tech when seeing this called the perinatologist in to see for herself. They measured a good half dozen times before concluding that my cervix is really short and they needed to consult with my OB. Tuesday it was 2.3, and before that 3.5 for comparison. So it appears I am rapidly changing.

When the peri came back she announced I'd be admitted to the hospital and likely will stay until the babies are born.

Once I was checked in my doctor came to visit, even though another doctor was on call today and he was on vacation - I thought that was really nice and made me feel more comfortable. He told me the plan was to keep me on bed rest at the hospital until 34-35 weeks *or the boys come* and at that time they'd evaluate and maybe send me home to go into labor on my own.

So here I am - all checked in at Evergreen. We got here at 8am, I was admitted at 11 and so far have had one pill and two shots (one of terbutaline to stop contractions, and one steroid to speed up the lung growth of the boys). I've been monitored since arriving and have been told I'm not allowed to sit up. On the bright side, I get bathroom and shower privileges *hooray* and they have more channels on TV here then I do at home. Plus it also means I'm officially done working until July or so - 6 months off!

Hope the boys stay put for awhile, though I am not the most comfortable and it hasn't really sunk in that I'll be here for a good month unless the boys come earlier... so far everyone has been treating me as if I could go into labor any minute which is a bit surreal - though I recognize this is the best place for me at this time.

More later... when I get bored ;)

1 comment:

alisha said...

I'm sorry to hear about the bedrest at the hospital. Though sometimes the thought sounds nice -being waited on and having a perfect excuse not to have to do anything! Have you figured out what you can do to keep from being bored?

I'm so glad you were able to be at home for Christmas, though - and isn't it great the things they can do to help the boys be nice and healthy?

Good luck and happy bedresting.