Wednesday, December 31, 2008

32 Weeks | Hospital Vacation Continues...

Woo hoo - we made it to 32 weeks and all seems to be going well! So far my hospital vacation has been good. The boys look great and I'm "behaving" by laying down - something I'm not very good at.

When I first got here they were monitoring my contractions all day/night and the boys heartbeats three times a day. Good behavior has allowed us to only be monitored once a day which is promising and much more comfortable. I am so thankful to have bathroom and shower privileges, though I try not to get up too much. It makes me feel a bit 'normal' to be able to be on my feet for 30 minutes or so a day.

I am getting a drug called nifedipine every 6 hours (6 am, noon, 6pm and midnight). The drug helps relax my irritated uterus and lowers the contractions. It gives me terrible headaches and makes me feel light headed because it lowers my blood pressure. They've started giving me Tylenol with it which seems to help. I'm also getting my heartburn medicine, a prenatal vitamin, stool softener (fun) and at night a sleeping pill if I need it (since I haven't been sleeping much). I finished my steroid shots so the boy's lungs are more prepared for oxygen if they arrive in the next two weeks.

The boys have been very active and I've had no further complications since arriving. I'm getting rechecked on Friday to see if my cervical length has changed. It sounds like the doctor is going to keep me until 34-35 weeks even if my cervix has improved. I've come to accept this and realize this is the best place for all of us. I know if I was at home I'd be much more active and have a higher risk of something else happening.

I see the on call doctor every morning, who just comes by to look at my chart and monitoring strips and answer any questions. My doctor also comes by each day which is nice. I have to admit it has been nice meeting all of the other doctors, they are all really nice and it puts my mind at ease to know more of them in case they were to deliver the twins.

I've had a lot of visitors, it's so nice to have the support of family and friends. So far I'm not bored - we'll see how long that lasts. I'm a bit anxious just because I have a long list of "to dos" that I can't get to at home. Christian has been great finishing up odds and ends and getting me the things I need to make this place feel like "home". He's been sleeping here every night, it's nice to not be alone all day and night long.

The nurses are great and really answer all of my questions. I even had a visit from a social worker who wanted to check in and see how I'm coping and answer questions. She was a great resource and answered a lot of my 'what if' questions about preemies the NICU and bed rest. At this point most are 'what ifs' since none of us know if the boys will come tomorrow or need to be evicted still at 38 weeks.

I'm officially all done with work, filled out my short term disability paperwork and had the doctor take care of the rest. My boss came by which was nice and assured me I didn't need to do anything else except tell her when the boys are here so I switch from disability to maternity leave. It's a bit crazy that I won't be working for 6 months - but I'm also excited!

That's about all for now; Here's hoping for 2 more weeks of no incidents so the boys can grow more and have less NICU time when they arrive! Though, I am getting very excited to meet these little men!

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

I'm so glad you're doing better and it's great that Christian is staying with you every night! Hope those boys stay put for awhile :) I'll come back for another visit soon! Love you and thinking about you!

melanie said...

Hi! I'm back in town and just getting updated on your blog, your status, your boys, everything.

I want to come by and say hi at some point and bring you your SATC DVDs that can help you stay 'not-bored' so let me know when is a good time!!!

BTW, I just started in ViSMA today...did I already tell you?