Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Adjusting...

Who's idea was this anyway? Whoever invented this cursed machine obviously hates women... it's terrible, I don't know how people pump for more than a few weeks - I'm having a minor melt down about it. I love being here for my boys but if I could just NOT pump my day would be so much less stressful... not sure how long this breastfeeding thing will last, but everyone at this hospital is so pro-breastfeeding and anti-formula. Yesterday I cried when I got a visit from a home nurse who said both options are beneficial to babies and breastfeeding isn't the ONLY way - I was so happy, she was the first to say this. One of the lactation consultants said I'm only pumping as if I had one baby and said I should do more so I don't feel "guilty" - are you serious? It's only difficult b/c preemies don't know how to do the "latch, suck, swallow, breathe" combination so they can't just feed like a full term baby.

A typical day:

6 am - wake up and pump then shower and get ready.

7:30 am - arrive at hospital.

7:45 am - daddy goes to work after saying hi to the boys.

8 am - start "care" rounds (diaper change, temperatures, feeds).

8:30am - Gavin is done feeding start Lucas.

9 am - Lucas is done feeding, Gavin starts to get fussy.

9:30 am - Time to pump, even if there are fussy babies (I'm already an hour behind schedule, supposed to pump every 2 hours - as if!)

10 am - really fussy babies, time to snuggle - Gavin's heart rate shoots up to 210 bpm when he gets mad and can't settle himself down. Sometimes I can't settle him down b/c he tries to breastfeed and "root" when I'm holding him. Happy Lucas is still asleep usually. Both seem to know it's almost time to eat again, perhaps Gavin isn't getting enough to eat, he also hates stinky pants.

10:45 am - Mommy gets to go to the bathroom and maybe eat something or make a phone call.

11 am - time for the next round of cares... and REPEAT.


The life of a twin mommy, 30 minute intervals... I'm loving it but still getting adjusted. I have "help" from the nurses but really am on my own for everything besides the medical stuff. I am getting really fast at diaper changes though and can't believe how well the boys are doing! :)

Last night we left at 6pm after Lucas got his FIRST BATH (yes I video taped it with help from grandma) Today is Gavin's turn!!! We grabbed a quick, unhealthy bite to eat and went home. I immediately jumped into bed and fell asleep, I ended up sleeping from 7pm to 7am only waking up once to pump! I feel so rested it's amazing. I missed their first feeding this morning as I arrived at 9am, perhaps something I should do more often since I'm able to grab a few minutes on my computer and eat breakfast. Everyone agrees I need to get myself on a better schedule so I don't have a melt down. I'm learning to multitask :)

Another big accomplishment yesterday is that both boys finished their first full feed via a bottle - they are now going to try two bottle feeds a day! Today is "rounds" where all of our doctors gather in a room to discuss the boys, I'm going to attend this morning and see what they say!

Oh, it's 10 am and we have a fussy Gavin gotta go... more later.

5 comments:

Lindsay said...

Wow, you are a very busy mommy! So glad everything is going so great! They'll be home before you know it :)

Anonymous said...

The LC's at Evergreen are complete BF Nazis. In the end you have to do what's best for you and the boys and giving them formula once or twice a day isn't the end of the world. I happy mommy makes for happy babies. : ) I think about you guys all the time and I’m so happy to hear the boys are thriving. Let me know if you need anything. I’m always here if you need someone to bring you lunch or coffee.

Allison said...

Pumping sucks. I only had to do it for a couple of weeks and I thought I was going to die. I wasn't able to pump enough for two, so our boys were supplemented with formula until they learned to latch on and feed themselves (which wasn't until they came home from the hospital). Breastfeeding is much easier when the babies are doing the pumping, not the machine...Whatever you decide to do, you shouldn't feel guilty! Do what works best for you.

Jamie said...

I had the same issues with Ryan, he couldn't latch on,would stop breathing...once we got home though he nursed just fine. I was all for bottles of formula but once we were at home and it was more relaxed it was easier to do!!
Don't let anyone make you feel guilty, bottles are just as good as breastfeeding!!
the boys are so cute!!!
Jamie

Angie said...

Wow, that is so crazy to see the schedule actually written out. I can't quite grasp how this is all going to work! And I agree, it sounds like pumping sucks!! Don't let anyone make you feel guilty if you want to stop! You are doing a great job!

I loved the bath video, so cute! It sounds like you guys are doing really well! I am so happy to hear that. I still want to meet these little guys! Tell Gavin and Lucas that their little friends will be arriving tomorrow....about 1pm. I'm so nervous...

I am glad things are going so well, I hope you guys get to go home soon!!

angie