Monday, January 12, 2009

Update on our boys...

So far the boys are doing pretty well, we've been able to hold them for about an hour a day, change their diapers and take their temperatures. They are starting to open their eyes and take in all of the sights, and have figured out how to suck on a pacifier which helps calm them. They still don't like to be touched a lot - so we reach in and let them grip our little finger or let them push their feet against our hand. They love it when you place one hand on their head and the other on the bottom of their feet and gently hold them (this usually stops their flailing arms - something they haven't figured out how to control on their own).

Yesterday was very overwhelming for us as Gavin and Lucas started having apnea and would forget to breathe, their hearts would stop during this time and alarms go off in the room. During a "decel" they also start to turn blue after a few seconds. A nurse comes in right away and usually has to touch the little man to stimulate him and remind him to breathe - we are also allowed to do this if we're in the room.

Because this kept happening the boys were put on caffeine (welcome to Seattle) which stimulates them and helps remind them to breathe. This has helped a lot and since their initial dose have only had a handful of episodes. But now I jump at every little beep that goes off in the room, totally paranoid it's something bad.

I cry every time it happens - it is just so stressful to see your little boy stop breathing. It is "common" for preemies and the doctors and nurses are not worried at all. The fact that they never had to be on a ventilator is great news and everything else looks great. It is just so hard on me that I can't help them and they're struggling. Because of the apnea we can't hold them for a few days, but can still reach in and touch/comfort them when we like.

The boys are also not digesting their food very well; before every feeding the nurse takes a syringe and connects it to their feeding tube (that goes through their nose into their stomach) and withdraws any "leftovers". Gavin always has a lot of air and some partially digested milk. Lucas has some air and a lot of partially digested milk. Because of this they are not getting "new" food every 3 hours, instead they basically skip a meal so they can digest their food better. The good news is my milk came in yesterday so I'm able to supply for them instead of formula which they didn't seem to tolerate well.

Lucas also had to have a new IV put in. Gavin's is in his hand and Luc's was in his foot until this morning. I walked in and the nurse said "OK I have to warn you, we had to give Lucas a new IV and it's in his head". It looks a bit scary but it's actually more comfortable as now he can move around without cords. He keeps reaching up to pull on it though - they both also try and pull out their feeding tubes.

More later after I take a few deep breaths, eat some lunch and sleep.

4 comments:

Angie said...

Oh Heather, hang in there girl, I know that this is not easy to go through....I hope Gavin and Lucas get stronger and stronger each day!! It will get easier! Just hang in there! (((HUGS)))

I might be joining you very soon.....waiting for Dr. Davis to call me tonight.....they have me scheduled for 1:00 c-section tomorrow......Yikes! I haven't even talked to Dr. D about it yet! Just got a call from the hospital scheduler! I'll keep you posted!

Elysia & my James' said...

Congratulations on your beautiful baby boys! They are absolutely adorable. Everything is going to be just fine and they are going to be at home with you before you know it!

RobynK said...

You are doing great Heather -- especially that your milk is coming in. That is such a great sign of good things to come.
Your boys are so handsome! I am sure what you are going through is very scary but just remember you are in a great place to help them!
I hope your recovery is going well -- rest as much as you can (I know, easier said than done).

Lauren said...

Oh Heather your boys are sooo cute! Your blog takes me back to the days I worked on pediatrics. I am so glad you handled the IV well! I used to have moms' hysterical when I put it in their baby's heads. Can't wait for you to be able to take them home!