The boys are doing really good. This morning I got to go and listen to the updates from all of their doctors. There were about 10 people in the room all playing a different role in the care of our sons. I found out that they are doing really well, the neonatologist said "don't they know they are preemies?" after hearing the great update from the nurse.
Here are the main updates:
The caffeine is helping our boys remember to breathe. Luckily I've adjusted to the alarms and don't cry anymore when they go off. The boys are also not having as many episodes which is great. They'll stay on the caffeine for awhile.

We also had a big accomplishment yesterday, Lucas was awake and sucking on a pacifier before his 11am feeding. The nurse decided to see if he was interested in nipple feeding - he was! He took his food down with a nipple and syringe and swallowed it all - a whole 9ml! This morning both boys drank their milk with an actual bottle! I was so proud, they're up to 24 ml!
The more milk the boys consume the less IV fluids they have to get - the pharmacist today during our check in said that they will be on their TPN (fluids) for another day - which means that their IV may come out in a day or so!
The boys are still red so they are under lights to help filter out the bilirubin - a bi product of red blood cell destruction (something we all do but the liver usually filters it, during birth there is a high quantity and preemies can't break it down). They're wearing some cool shades and Gavin's light turns him blue!
They may get out of their isolettes and into a joint crib very soon - both boys are maintaining their temperatures very well. They won't take them out until they can keep their temps up without exerting much energy (IE: still gaining weight) and with their warmers turned down to room temp.
My milk came in and pumping is going better - enough said. :)

Yesterday I got to hold both boys together for an hour while they were fed via their tubes - to get them used to the association. Gavin was put on me first, and he was awake so they let him try to breast feed, and he did it for a few minutes! I was amazed it didn't freak me out like I thought it would - and was so proud. Lucas was put next to his brother and within minutes we were all falling asleep, something to do with the hormones released. It was so great to hold them, since we couldn't yesterday due to their apnea episodes.
4 comments:
Sounds like your boys are getting stronger by the second! Great to hear all your good news, keep it coming!!!
Great news!!! I'm glad your boys are doing so well!
Congratulations!
This NICU time will fly by so fast and they'll both be home before you know it!
I still have Joseph and Grant's shades that they wore while under the bili lights as well as their tiny little blood pressure cuffs. I can't seem to let go of them. They are a reminder of how teeny they once were.
If you ever have any twins questions you can ask me any time through LeAnn.
I'm glad to hear that everything is going well. You look so great holding your two little guys!
- Hanna
Post a Comment