Wednesday, November 5, 2008

24 Week Update | 98 Days left!!!

24w0d
Size: papaya
Weight: +3 putting the grand total to 20 pounds and a number I thought I'd NEVER see on the scale.

Picture to the left - fraternal twins at 24 weeks! That's ME!!!

This is another big week for your magical growing baby! Just take a look at the checklist for this week: 1) ears: done; 2) fingernails: done; 3) (if you have a boy) testicles: taking their 3-4 day trip from the abdominal wall to the scrotum; and 4) lungs walls: secreting “surfactant”. What’s that? Well, surfactant is sort of what it sounds like: a surface-activated fat whose main purpose is to assist the your baby's little lungs during inflation (as in, filling with air, not getting more expensive). Just in case you’re curious, your submerged baby is still breathing in amniotic fluid, preparing and rehearsing the lungs an oxygen-filled life outside the womb. By the end of this week, your child will be weighing around 2 lbs and 14 inches long. Your cutie-patootie may even be a little more plump, but isn't anywhere near their full baby-fatted cute-self. Most of the “filling out” is coming up in that long awaited (and slightly dreaded?) third trimester. Woo-hoo! Get ready!

WOW only 98 days until the twins are here!!! My 'due date' is at 38 weeks, Feb 11 which is less then 100 days away - how amazing!!! I can't wait to meet these little ones!

Yesterday we had our 24 week appointment; we had a growth check via ultrasound and an OB visit. The boys are growing strong, each weigh exactly 1 pound 7 ounces and are in the 40-45th percentile each. This is great news, as it means that they are average size babies for all babies their age, not just twins! I really hope they continue to grow well - guess that means all my extra weight is going to the right place! During the u/s I asked the nurse if she could just tell me I'm having 10 pound babies to account for my weight gain - she laughed and said well you do have two placentas and sacs plus babies that has to be 20 pounds right there. Nice lady...

The heartbeats were strong at around 150 and the boys have flipped positions. Now it's B's turn to kick A in the face. A is now breech and B is heads down. During the u/s we saw that B is basically on my entire right side and A is on my entire left side - since they're opposite positions they're actually both kicking each other in the face these days. And they are STRONG, sometimes it hurts how hard they can kick me. But I love knowing they are in there.

I also got a flu shot at the doctor, my first one in forever and my arm hurts, but hopefully I won't get sick or if I do it won't last as long. My doctor wanted me to get one, and was going to go tell the nurse. We asked a few more questions and he left - the nurse came back a few minutes later and told us we could go, when I told her that Dr. Hyde wanted me to get a flu shot. She walked out to ask him and he said "no... wait yes, I'm sorry!". It was pretty hysterical - he had just got back from delivering a baby and I bet was pre-occupied, he's a really nice guy and we laughed it off.

In other news; I'm the queen of indecision these days and after thinking about it for awhile we decided to re-paint the nursery AGAIN. The yellow was just too bright and I hated it. So last night we went and got some light blue paint, and painted over the yellow. We left the top half white and this weekend (while I'm enjoying my first baby shower on Sunday) my dad and husband will put the chair rail up and everything back in place. Maybe I will even get some room decorations at my shower! I can't wait, we're still doing the nautical theme all shades of blue and white with boats. I'll post pictures once it's done!

5 comments:

Lindsay said...

YAY for healthy and growing twins! I might be reading these wrong but I'm a little confused by your 2 counters. One says 24 weeks old/112 days to go and the other says 26 weeks old/98 days to go. Is one for the birth date and the other for the delivery date?

Heather said...

Good question - the one in the middle is how old they actually are and their actual development. the one on the left is the "until delivery" date so how long I have left countdown. I wanted to see how long until Feb 11 (38 weeks) since I won't make it till Feb 25 (40 weeks)...

Angie said...

Glad your appointment went well! I have an appointment tomorrow, but no u/s scheduled :( Your nursery sounds like the opposite of ours! We did light blue on top and white on the bottom!

I love how you changed that ticker, I wish we were already 26 weeks along! I can't believe only 98 days until our "adjusted due date!" Yay!!

Are you guys taking any of the classes at Evergreen? We have one this saturday and then another one starts next friday. Just wondered if I will see you there!

Angie said...

Yep, those are the same classes we are signed up for! So I'll see you there...yeah, I guess I only have that one picture of my face on my blog, and it's kinda hard to see! I'll find ya! I wonder how many people will be there?

FSD said...

I'm glad everything is going so well for you and boys!!! That's great! I had to get a flu shot about a week ago too. My doc says the flu in pregnant women is nothing nice. I did just fine with it; I hope you do too.